Monday, April 30, 2012

My favourite running partner

Being part Husky, Odin loves to run and jump and frolic. And he also needs to do it often. So running together satisfies two needs - his for exercise and mine for fitting in another run. But it is also more than that. As I gather up my running gear, I glance over and see Odin sitting in his bed, staring out the window at the world outside. And then he sighs and lies down, as if giving up on ever leaving the condo again.

Finally dressed and ready to go, I grab the leash, open the door, and he is barging out ahead of me, free at last. His pure enthusiasm for anything athletic is so inspiring that it lifts my spirits at the beginning of the run, instead of the feelings of dread that I usually have when starting a solo run. Other than the occasional bathroom break and doggy sniff, we run as a team, gathering focus, until on the last leg of the run when we have the same stride, both looking straight ahead, caught in the moment. Odin is my pet and companion. But he is also my running coach, urging me to go further and faster, growling when I let up on my pace. And I couldn't ask for a better friend to run with.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh Jen that's so cute! Levi can't wait to begin running with Tas when he gets older and this inspires me to want to take up running as it is so true... it strengthens the bond between you and them.

Melisa said...

Cadie would rather run insanely back and forth while jumping on me in between than be a running buddy. She just wants the freedom. But she is great at pulling me up the hills when I have her on leash.

Unknown said...

Yes, definitely best to start running when they're young! You'll have so much fun running wit Tas :)

And Mel, Odin is still learning. But the other day Odin, Mat & I all went for a family run and he was so good. And so tired out at the end!