Monday, September 20, 2010

Friends again?

When I left my last job, one of my colleagues and close friends was away on holiday. So I didn't get a chance to talk to her in person, to let her know my plans. Right after I left, I went to the East Coast for a few weeks, to spend time with family and also to pause, reflect and think about my next step.

While there, I received a Facebook reply from my friend, in response to my invitation to spend time together when I got back to Whistler. Her message was not what I had expected, and she was obviously upset and angry at me. I burst into tears and didn't know what to do.

I finally responded, in a low-key kind of way, and figured the friendship was over. Although we continued to see each other occasionally (such as Monday-night Bachelor viewings!) it just wasn't the same.

Then last week, she messaged me (again on Facebook - why oh why does everyone use Facebook so much?) and I invited her over for dinner. After a yummy bbq salmon meal and a glass of wine, I asked, "Are we friends again?", and she said yes. We chatted a little about what had gone wrong, but not in too much depth.

So I guess we're friends again, although I still feel the sting of what was said and how I felt. But apologies have been made, and it's either move ahead or move on. I think I'll choose to move ahead, with the same friend, and maybe a slightly different friendship.

Photo credit: Mattox

No comments: